In light of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the artist community, the Foundation for Contemporary Arts is creating a temporary fund to meet the needs of experimental artists who have been impacted by the economic fallout from postponed or canceled performances and exhibitions. If you are unsure about whether your work is experimental, you can see other artists we have supported on our Instagram and our website.
For as long as our Board of Directors determines it is necessary and prudent to do so, the Foundation will disburse $1,500 grants to artists who have had performances or exhibitions canceled or postponed because of the COVID-19 virus.
- In accordance with our mission, FCA will continue to focus its support on artists making work of a contemporary, experimental nature.
- Relief will be provided to artists who can demonstrate that they have had an engagement canceled or postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Applicants must be individual artists, or an individual representing an artist collective, ensemble, or group. Curators, producers, workshop organizers, organizations, or arts presenters are not eligible to apply.
- Currently, this fund cannot support performers, ensemble members, or designers who were working on a project that was canceled; we recognize the vital contributions that performers, artist assistants, designers, and others make to the field and have listed other resources that offer more targeted support to those artists below.
- Applicants must be living in the United States or U.S. territories and have a U.S. Tax ID Number (SSN, EIN, ITIN, or other)
- Applicants cannot be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program
- For the purpose of providing COVID-19 relief, we are temporarily suspending the three year waiting period between grants. If you have received a grant from the Foundation in the past three years you may apply for COVID-19 relief.
FCA anticipates far greater need than this fund will be able to accommodate. Below you will find three additional resource links. The first is a list of national resources for artists and arts organizations from the National Endowment for the Arts. The second is a list of COVID-19 resources for freelance artists that has been assembled by an independent group of artists and administrators. The third is a list of mutual aid resources for artists living in New York in case you or someone you know is immunocompromised or otherwise at-risk and in need of assistance with grocery or supply delivery or other services.
Please note that the resources at the links below have not been independently vetted by the Foundation for Contemporary Arts and are provided solely in the hope that they might be a useful starting place for members of our community who are in need of resources and support. FCA encourages you to research all the resources on each list independently. You are also encouraged to follow CDC guidelines to avoid contracting or spreading the virus and, if you are in New York City, text COVID to 692-692 to receive the latest city-wide updates.
COVID-19 Resources for Artists and Arts Organizations
COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources
NYC United Against Coronavirus - Resources and Information
The Foundation for Contemporary Arts Emergency Grants COVID-19 Fund has been generously supported by the following individuals and foundations:
The Willem de Kooning Foundation
The Destina Foundation
Helen Frankenthaler Foundation COVID-19 Relief Effort
Howard Gilman Foundation
Roy Lichtenstein Foundation
The Richard Pousette-Dart Foundation
The David Rockefeller Fund
Trust for Mutual Understanding
Cy Twombly Foundation
The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts